.

Damage In Late-Night Blaze In Hundreds Of Thousands

No injuries reported in the fire that began in the chimney.

Fire officials provided an update regarding the stubborn fire at a large house from Friday night.

The three occupants and their pet were able to evacuate safely after the fire started around 10:40 p.m. No injuries to fire fighters, or the residents were reported in the blaze that took over two hours to battle, said Mike Clark, battalion chief of the South Pasadena Fire Department.

No specific dollar amount was known at the time, but it is estimated to be in the hundred of thousands of dollars, Clark said.

The fire is still being investigated, although the point of origin was the fire place.

"That was the source and location of the fire. It was in a first floor fire place and a chimney that went up two stories and above the roof line," Clark said.

The majority of the 5,000-square-foot home is fine, with damage being confined to the rear of the property and the chimney. The latter will have to be red tagged and demolished, Clark said.

"It took us a while to physically call knockdown, the majority of the fire was knocked down very quickly. The house is approximately 5,000 square feet. There were several hidden areas we had to break open to find hidden fire," Clark said.

Knockdown was reported at 12:46 a.m. Fire fighters kept a city engine on scene until 6:28 a.m. to watch for hot spots, Clark said.

Fire fighters had help from neighboring cities, including Alhambra, Pasadena, San Gabriel and Glendale.

Related:

Firefighters Battle Late-Night Blaze

Follow South Pasadena Patch on Facebook and Twitter and sign up for our Newsletter.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something