Light rain sprinkled the Southland Friday, but the region is due for a bout of heavier, steadier rainfall Saturday, forecasters said.
"Motorists should be alert for slick roadways due to the combination of oil and rainfall," warned a National Weather Service advisory.
In South Pasadena, forecasters predict a 30 percent chance of rain Friday afternoon and evening, with high temperatures tapping out at 68 degrees, according to the NWS' website. But Saturday, the chance of percipitation jumps to 60 percent, with high temperatures hovering at 65 degrees.
Friday's rain is the result of a cold front expected to weaken as it moves south, producing only scattered showers through this evening, according to the NWS, which forecast stronger rainfall late Saturday morning as a result of a second cold front that also will trigger showers through the evening.
A weak third cold front on Sunday is not expected to generate rain as far south as the Greater L.A. area, NWS forecasters said.
"The rainfall this weekend may produce ponding of water in low-lying and poorly drained areas," according to the advisory.
No significant snow accumulation is expected in the Southland this weekend because the snow level will remain above 7,000 feet, it said.
The NWS Weekend Outlook for South Pasadena
- Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly between 10am and 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Friday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the evening.
- Saturday: Rain likely, mainly after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65. East wind around 5 mph becoming south southwest in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast in the evening.
- Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 65. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the morning.
- Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.