More than 40 businesses will be participating in Arts Crawl 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday.
Come out for live music, art show openings, great food—and to pick up a special Valentine's Day gift.
Check out these galleries for awesome artwork:
- presents The Art of Mark Strickland, an exhibition of paintings by the artist who teaches at Disney and Art Center College of Design. A reception for the artist and book signing is from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- (inside ) presents recent Plein Air and studio paintings, with a free print offered with the purchase of a painting that night. Artist Laurie Hendricks will host an open house with refreshments.
- SOPA Studios, a shared workspace housing the studios of ten resident artists, including that of founding director Lisa Marsh, hosts an open house with live music by Brad Colerick and friends. The collective exists to both support and nurture established and emerging artists.
- Director Tom Field hosts an opening and reception for the artist Elisa Hamilton. (The gallery is inside .)
- presents a show of paintings and lithographs by L.A. artist Stephanie Mercado. Plus, Valentine’s Day card-making for all ages and a silent auction of artisan-made Valentines to benefit arts education programs in the community.
- , South Pasadena's newest gallery opened by Scott Gandell and Anneline DeCroos, will feature recent paintings by Lidia Shaddow. There will also be a caricature artist on hand.
- will feature a group show of contemporary artists and delightful gift items from around the world.
- offers a special exhibition specifically created for the Arts Crawl: Petite Valentine.
- will host a gallery opening for Sean Saraf. There will also be a DJ (DJ Psyborg) in the loft spinning.
Hit up these places for food and entertainment:
- presents String Madness, a guitar trio consisting of three hot instrumentalists: mandolinist Bob Applebaum and guitarists Mitch Greenhill and Peter Spelman.
- , now under new ownership, will feature live music by Tisa Adamson from 7:30 to 8:10 p.m. and Brie Darling and Randy Mitchel from 8:20 to 9:00 p.m. The gallery wall will showcase the artwork of Lesley Paige Rutherford.
- An Evening of Jazz will showcase Wind & Wire, Jen Oikawa, and Elliott Caine in the Community Room. Wind & Wire will play at 6:00 p.m., Jen Oikawa at 7:00 p.m. and Elliott Caine at 8:00 p.m.
- will present Gary Stockdale, a two-time EMMY-nominated composer who has composed music for television shows such as Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, To Tell the Truth and more. As a performer and singer, Gary has appeared on NBC, and he was an original member of the Brian Setzer Orchestra. The show starts at 8:00 p.m.
- , with several new mini-boutiques inside, will present the music of Michael Grenier on the giant marimbas and the paintings of Lynette Serembe.
- Los Angeles Children's Orchestra and Children's Chamber Orchestra, ages 9 to 12, will perform at the (inside ) from 7:00 to 7:30 p.m. Students performing include South Pasadena violinists Jaeyeon Hong, Abigel Szilagy, Annika Gavlak, Emma Phillips, Tabitha Okitsu and cellist Jenna Pascale.
- and will also have live music.
Other fun stuff:
- Artist and representative of South Pasadena Chinese-American Club, Jack Tsai, will be doing Chinese calligraphy demonstrations, including valentines, at . (Check out the attached photos to see Jack's adorable valentines.)
- (entry on Fremont Ave. in Suite 103) will be creating letterpress printing samples.
- will have a spinning and knitting demo.
- will light up the for tours with Docent Bill Hilliard. Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times, a black and white classic, will be played on the side the building, near the Gold Line Mission Station, courtesy of
- will have a Valentine’s Day T-shirt sale.
- Edmonds Thompson Antiques (at the corner of Fair Oaks Ave. and Oxley) will offer 20 percent off any item in the store.
- Friends of the Rialto will be in front of . Come by and chat about the Rialto's past, present and future; see photos and memorabilia, etc.
- will have maze drawing demonstrations by Maze Mania and Valentine-themed Maze Magazines for sale at a nominal cost.
- will raffle off a Melissa & Doug Standing Easel; very $10 spent gets you a ticket to enter the raffle.
- Bums n' Beyond (located inside the castle at the will offer 10 percent off everything the eco-friendly mom and baby boutique.
- Food trucks including Gastrobus, Slammin’ Sliders and Auntie’s Fry Bread.
The Arts Crawl is sponsored by Collins, Collins Muir + Stewart, LLP, Athens Services and Kevin Bourland, John Aaroe Group Realty. Volunteer organizations including the South Pasadena Arts Council (SPARC), South Pasadena Preservation Foundation, and all provided support. For more information visit www.SouthPasadena.net