One-Time Foothill Resident Rodney King Dead at Age 47

King was found dead in his pool at his home in Rialto early Sunday morning.

Rodney King, a one-time Altadena resident best known for being beaten up by
Los Angeles police and triggering the worst urban riots in a generation, died
overnight in an apparent drowning. He was 47.

King's fiancee found him in a swimming pool at his home at 5:25 a.m. Sunday, Rialto police Capt. Randy DeAnda said.

"There were no obvious signs of trauma," the officer said. "Rialto
police are conducting a drowning investigation at this time.'"

King had apparently spoken with his fiancee in the minutes before she
discovered him lifeless in the pool behind their modest tract house in Rialto,
55 miles east of Los Angeles, police said. Rialto firefighters rushed King to
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, where he was pronounced dead at
6:11 a.m. Sunday.

In an interview last April, King told the BBC that he was engaged to marry Cynthia Kelley, whom he met as she sat as a juror in the civil lawsuit that awarded King $3.8 million for his injuries at the hands of four Los Angeles police officers in 1991.

King was catapulted to worldwide fame when an amateur video photographer named George Holliday heard police helicopters whirling over his apartment. He picked up his new video camera and recorded the blurry images of four LAPD officers kicking a motorist who had been pulled from his car. King lived in nearby Altadena at the time.

Images telecast around the world sparked a tinderbox of tension in Los
Angeles, where inner city residents were already furious with law enforcement
over the killing of a black child by a Korean shopkeeper. Years of heavy-handed
police tactics had also bred deep-seated animosity.

When the four police officers were acquitted in a trial in Simi Valley
in 1992, South Los Angeles erupted in riots. Fifty-three people were killed in
the violent looting, random assaults and protests that some called an
"uprising," and that others called a complete breakdown of society.

King appeared on television after four days of fires and carnage,
pleading "I just want to say, you know, can we -- can't we all just get

In an interview with National Public Radio last April, King said his
flight from police back in 1991 was caused by a desire to avoid a drunken
driving arrest on a night before he had to go to work. "My family, everything
that I had been working hard for since I'd been out of jail, my whole life was
like flashed in front of me," King told NPR.

"I made a bad mistake by running from them."

King told interviewers last April that he had spent nearly all of the
$3.8 million in civil judgments he had won against the LAPD, spending it on
lawyers, relatives and himself.

King appeared at this spring's L.A. Times Festival of Books to promote
his tome "The Riot Within: My Journey From Rebellion To Redemption.'"
Attendees said he was hopeful and happy, but confessed to being a recovering
addict who suffers nightmares and flashbacks from the severe beating.

But King also said he forgave the officers.

Travis Bickle June 19, 2012 at 02:26 AM
One less POS in this world....Thank god
J McNally June 19, 2012 at 07:24 AM
WTH do you mean, Taxi Driver? Macabrely curious to hear more.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »