Oscar Sanchez had just finished the Boston Marathon, when he and his pregnant wife opted to grab some lunch near the finish line.
The South Pasadena resident, an avid runner and personal trainer, was eating a meal at Fire + Ice Family Restaurant, just south of Bolyston Street, when he heard siren after siren scream by. The volume of the restaurant's music blocked the sound of the explosions, but Sanchez feared something horrible must have happened, as he and his wife's cell phones stopped working. [Cell phone service was limited after the blasts.]
The street on Monday was a scene of bloody chaos, where reports and crowd murmur led Sanchez and others to believe additional, unexploded devices had been found. None were. Frightened, the South Pas man and his wife walked cautiously back to their friend's apartment, just five minutes from the finish line.
"My wife and I are okay, but we were both shaken from the events that transpired,'' Sanchez said in an email to Patch.
"This is a great event that was marred by a devastating tragedy, but I was really impressed by the people of Boston who not only donated blood, but also helped runners who were left stranded,'' he said.
Three people died in the explosions that injured 170 others, many critically. Several people required leg amputations.
Conflicting reports emerged Wednesday about whether federal authorities had arrested a suspect in the bombings. In a confusing and emotional afternoon, Boston Police reported that no arrest has been made. The announcement followed several national and local Boston news stories that officials had a man in custody.
The FBI released a statement saying there was no suspect in custody, and implored the media to be careful when reporting on this case.