Young Illegal Immigrants Can Now Apply For Work Permits, Social Security Cards

The Obama administration's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program allows young illegal immigrants the chance to apply for work permits.

Wednesday was the first day the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services began accepting applications for a program that lets young illegal immigrants work in this country – legally.

The Obama administration's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program allows young illegal immigrants the chance to apply for work permits and Social Security numbers. The program is also open to non-U.S. citizens who entered the country with proper documentation.

There is no deadline on the program, but applicants must be at least 15 years old and under 31 as of June 15, 2012. There are other requirements, such as no criminal record, arrival in this country before age 16, physical presence in the U.S., and residence in this country for 5 years prior to June 15, 2012. For those on visas, the period of permission to remain in the U.S. must have expired before the June 15 date.

Homeland Security officials estimate more than 1 million people will apply in the first year of the program and about 890,000 will be eligible.

Federal officials are warning that a decision on each application could take several months, and applicants will be advised not to leave the country while an application is pending.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is directing those who want to apply to the program to visit its website at www.uscis.gov or call 800-375-5283.

El Erik R January 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Se ve se siente anita para presidenta :-) agua jabon y escobeta a anita se le repeta !!!
Vince January 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Great Eric!! Now I can practice the Spanish I have been taking on Line Classes for. And please, do excuse me if it is a bit off, but at the least I am trying to bridge the communication gap: Eebie da! Yabba dabba doo ungowa moofray. Heebie Jeebies, eenie meenie minee moe...fo? Peachy pluto car fone!! Huh?
El Erik R January 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Very good vice now let me teach you a little more espanish !!!! Chin ga tu pu ta madre hi jo de la chin ga da racis ta hi jo de pu ta !!! Now somthing in english fuck you !!!
dulce ortiz January 31, 2013 at 07:33 AM
why do you guys keep saying free?? I was born here but unfortunately my mom wasn't and she never get things for free I wish she would she works from early morning and comes from work around 11 pm she gotta work very hard to pay the rent and to buy groceries for my house we do not own a car or anything like that my mom pay her taxes with a ITIN number she doesn't have link card or medical card if she gets sick she gotta pay for that I'm about to graduate from high school and I dont think I'm going to be ableto go to prom and luncheon its too expensive and my mom can't afford that so please stop saying thay illegals get everything for free
EsmeraldaM February 09, 2013 at 02:33 AM
@El Erik 4:R:: Amen! And I also can't believe how racist u people are! Any ways yall can't do nothing now bc Obama did win and I was illegal until January 15 when I got my work permit with this law that obviously yall are so pissed about and I'm so happy that I can finally go back to school and get a career for my daughter and myself and I don't receive any government assistance its all on my own and my husband! So yall can just get over it! They can't deport us all!! Ahuevo!! Viva los Latinos and Immigrants and USA!!!!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »